But this past weekend, I really did have a perfect reason. I swear!
My good friend Heidi, who I've known since high school, is currently living in Louisiana. Since I start work in a week, I thought this past weekend would be my best chance to visit her. (Yes, I got a job! Will explain more later.) Plus, I love spontaneous road trips. The 8-hour drive went by surprisingly quickly and I soon found myself in the damp bayou air.
After an INCREDIBLY yummy bowl of gumbo made by Heidi, I crashed for the night. The next morning, we went for a long walk and took a drive around the surrounding area. Heidi lives in the Acadiana region, which is another word for Cajun. I made sure to try my first po'boy sandwich...and it was good.
Palmetto leaves
Oak Alley, a historic plantation
Ruins of a teeny tiny church (not sure of the name)
Heidi at Bayou Lafourche
Sugar cane fields next to where Heidi lives
I was a little obsessed with the incredible oak trees everywhere.
We were sure to rest up for the next day, when we made the 1.5-hour drive to New Orleans. This was my first time there and although we barely scratched the surface, it was enough to make me want to return.
The French Quarter was beautiful and gritty, shabby and elegant, and youthful and established at the same time.
Bourbon Street
As we rounded the corner of Jackson Square, we met head-on with a second line. Second lines are parades with a brass band and celebrants following behind. This one happened to be for a wedding, with the attendants and guests marching through the streets to cheering crowds.
The bride hoisted a parasol in the air and guests danced and waved handkerchiefs. What an awesome way to celebrate!
Although I was still full from the jambalaya, I had to stop at Cafe du Monde, which is famous for serving two things: beignets and coffee. I will NEVER turn down an opportunity to have fried dough. Just don't wear black because you'll be covered in powdered sugar.
After randomly stopping at an antique/artwork shop, I found this awesome piece of art for our wall. It's quite heavy and I'm not sure where I'll hang it yet, but it's it great?
I got home yesterday and have been procrastinating ever since! Take this blog post, for instance. I hope you're getting ready to celebrate Thanksgiving in your own tradition. I think I'm going to try introducing Texas gravy this year. So many possibilities!
Have a great and (hopefully) short week!





0 comments :: WHO DAT?
Post a Comment